SPC is acronym for stone, plastic composite.
Similar to WPC, SPC is an engineered luxury vinyl plank that combines limestone and stabilisers to create an extremely durable core. Like WPC, SPC is 100% waterproof and adds stability, dent resistance and structure to vinyl plank flooring.
An SPC Vinyl Plank has 3 main layers:
1. Wear Layer – The wear layer is the UV top coating on each plank which is transparent. This adds scratch and stain resistance to the flooring. Look for vinyls that have a .03 mm (12 mil) or .05 mm (20 mil) wear layer. These are commercially rated and will provide the most durability for your floors.
2. Vinyl Top Coat/Imager Layer – Each SPC vinyl plank will have a thin layer of vinyl attached to it. This layer is waterproof and will contain the colour, pattern and texture of the floor.
3. SPC Rigid Inner Core – The SPC core is made by combining natural limestone powder, polyvinyl chloride and stabilizers. This provides an incredibly stable base for each flooring plank and specifically designed to be 100% waterproof, as well as being extremely stable against extreme temperature fluctuations.
4. Optional Attached Underlayment – some designs (not all), include an attached underlay backing, to deliver exceptional acoustics and comfort underfoot (usually IXPE). When the planks do not have and attached underlay, a separate underlay is installed prior to laying the planks. Of particular importance is not to install with both an attached underlay and a separate underlay. This will create extra flex in your floor, resulting in increased stress on the flooring joints leading to potential floor failure.
SPC vinyl planks may or may not come with attached underlayment. The underlayment is sometimes attached to increase sound reduction and add softness to the floor.
If your planks do not have an attached underlayment, you can choose to include in your installation, an acoustic or general-purpose underlay for increased noise reduction. (In most apartments, Strata Management will require approved acoustic underlay.) Remember that the flooring already has high soundproofing qualities and is soft to walk on compared to Tile, Laminate and Hardwood Flooring.
Benefits of SPC Vinyl Plank Flooring.
SPC Vinyl Plank Flooring has quickly become one of the most popular floors to install for a variety of reasons. If you are a homeowner, property manager or business owner, SPC Vinyl Plank Flooring is a fantastic choice for your next flooring renovation.
– 100% Waterproof – This is one of the biggest benefits in choosing SPC Vinyl Planks. This allows for installation in kitchens, bathrooms, laundry rooms and restaurants without worry, unlike many other types of flooring materials.
– Stability in Temperature Fluctuations – With the stone construction, an SPC vinyl core is more stable in environments with extreme temperature and humidity changes.
– Appearance – SPC Vinyl Plank Flooring comes in a variety of different looks, textures and styles. At first glance most people believe the flooring is timber. It looks so authentic that they find it hard to believe that it is actually vinyl.
– Comfort – The SPC Vinyl Plank Flooring will feel sturdier and more cushioned under foot due to the dense core and thickness of the plank. A thicker plank will give you more comfort (5 to 7 mm.)
– Soundproofing – with the dense core of the SPC, the planks have increased soundproofing qualities. You will not hear the hollow sound when you walk on them, like you do with Laminate, Hardwood or Engineered Timber Flooring.
– Affordability – SPC Vinyl Plank Flooring is extremely budget friendly in comparison with Hardwood and Engineered Timber Flooring.
– Durable & Easy to Maintain – SPC Vinyl Plank Flooring is very durable and stable, due to its incredible density. It is very resistant to impacts, stains, scratches and wear and tear. This flooring is a great choice for busy households, retail, offices, and other commercial situations. In addition to being very durable, it is easy to maintain and keep clean. Maintenance only involves regular vacuuming or sweeping and occasional mopping. Over time this flooring will resist fading, peeling and cupping, and will withstand being directly exposed to sunlight.
– No Adhesive Required – No adhesive is used with the installation of SPC Hybrid Vinyl Plank Flooring. The locked floating floor only needs a 5 to 6 mm expansion gap around the perimeter of the floor.
With all the benefits of SPC Vinyl Plank Flooring, you can understand why it has become such a highly rated flooring material. The cushioned step, excellent stability, durability and waterproof core, results in the perfect flooring solution for your busy home, rental property or business situation.
View our full range of SPC Flooring here.